Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Welcome to NES!

I am Sviatlana Piatakova, a writer from Minsk, and after having suffered, with varying degrees of severity, from NES for at least 18 years, I have finally decided to do something about it. My shrink says talking is healthy (let’s hope she is right about that one because she kind of blew the whole fighting NES thing with a ‘just have a drink of water instead’ genius tip) so that is what I intend to do – talk it out in this blog about Night EatingSyndrome. Anything I can discover on the web, from friends, enemies, fellow sufferers, lovers and pets, I am going to share here and hopefully it can help someone battle this shady condition, even when health professionals shun away.

Important Disclaimer: Despite occasionally sporting horn-rimmed spectacles, I am not a medical professional and this blog as well as the Facebook NES page are not sources of accurate scientifically proven information on Night Eating Syndrome, or any other health condition. They are simply an attempt to shed some light on this dimly lit disorder, learn, communicate and laugh through tears when all else fails. Everyone – welcome!

They say one way to fight addiction is to find a good substitute (a carrot for a cigarette, a swinger with a carrot for heroin). So maybe I should take on the addiction of detailing my fridge adventures as an NES freak. Again, don't do this at home. 


ENTRY 1: December 5 - 6

Had one cough candy at 2 a.m. Had some halva at 3 a.m. (kept in mind that child will ball her eyes out if I eat it all – approximately 30% of brain awake – so left 1/3 of the original portion for said child). Had 2 large persimmons at 4 and 5 a.m. respectively. Had one throat infection candy at 6 a.m. (In my defense, have a nasty cold). DID NOT skip breakfast.

6 comments:

  1. Sviatlana, WOW!! I have never heard of this eating disorder, NES. I plan to follow you and watch you heal. Take care.

    Karen
    http://AnorexiaTreatmentExposed.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I had it sporadically when I was obese. Remember waking up and eating chocolate in freezer or girl scout cookies... like every 2 hours. I had to throw the stuff away or would have continued. I resorted to not having food in my apartment that would tempt me in that way. It worked. I had to resolve other issues with obesity that took years, though. But the night eating was over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carole, sounds like you did have NES. So happy you overcame it! Karen, thanks for following and support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sveta,

    Your blog made the newspaper:

    http://paper.li/AnorexiaExposed/1319983956#

    Fondly,
    Karen Barber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Karen, really appreciate it! You are doing a great job, so best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For over 10 years I was an addict and needed health treatment help. When I got the help I needed, I could start living my life again.

    ReplyDelete